:: User Login ::

Tuesday September 28 2021 

Featured Sponsors RIX MOTOR COMPANY LIMITED Wrexham lager SageZander Ltd

45566 visitors
since April 30, 2020

RSS Feed

News Archive

Tuesday 17th April 2007 Styal Res 2 Daten Res 2 (The Lloyd Morrison show)

Apr 16, 2007, 8:46 am

Styal looked to maintain their recent run of form when they took on bottom of the league Eagle sports and with several key players away had to call on the experience of Lloyd Morrison to shore up the defence.
Morrison made an immediate impact scoring of a corner with a fine volley from 12 yards to put Styal infront after ten minutes. Styal made the early running with sum tidy football forcing several corners in the first half with Morrison having several more chances to extend the lead. However, Eagle kept pushing and with their squad being "re-inforced" from the previous encounter, started to cause problems for Styal's defence and just before half time broke through to equalise.
Styal started the second half brightly creating several more good chances but failing to press home the advantage. Eagle went ahead after a deflected shot beat the Styal keeper against the run of play. Several more chances went begging before styal grabbed the equaliser from substitute Collin Fussel, who was making his first appearance after 4 months away through injury, some say an inspired substitution ! With Styal recording another draw the look forward to their next fixture on Monday v Linotype.



Styal continued their attempts to reduce their fixture backlog on saturday. The reserve team played well and always looked solid against a young Daten Reserves outfit. However Styal showed no cutting edge upfront and a 0-0 was about right. The 'A' team finished off their season by going down 4-1 at home against Sale Rovers who will most likely take the second place in the final league table. Styal 'A' are guaranteed 5th place in a tightly packed top 5 and the Styal players will all wake up in the night thinking about the 3 and 4 goal leads that were squandered in games towards the seasons close nd have cost promotion. (Awaiting match reports from managers)

Th first team are back in action at Gamesley midweek and at home to Barnton on Saturday as they seek to improve on heir current standing of 6th in Mid Cheshire first Division




Styal 2 Gamesley 0 Tuesday 10th April 2007

Apr 11, 2007, 9:14 am

Styal continued their unbeaten run last night making it now 10 games consecutive. Gamesley are a strong competitive outfit and Styal matched them early on with the midfield pairing of Tueart and Boardman toughing it out, whilst Styal's defence kept a tight rearguard, Capel dealing with any threats in an effective manner. After about 20 minutes Styal's footballing abiliy started to show through with good touches from Barnes alongside Graham who troubled Gamesley's centre halves.

Styal's first goal came after Barnes slipped past the last man only to be felled as he did so on the edge of the box. Filson's left footed free kick was curled into the top left hand corner, the Gamesley keeper left flatfooted. Styal continued to press during the first half playing good football and forcing a succession of corners. The second half continued in a similar manner with Styal playing the attractive football and creating numerous chances. The second goal was a similar quality to Filson's. McDonnell, who had a fine game cut in from the right touchline beating 2 defenders and rifled a shot past the keeper from an acute angle. Graham came close after another fine Styal move volleying over a cross from Thornton as Gamesley's defence became stretched.

The opposition continued to fight hard and also had opportunites to register late on. Nick Vernon in the Styal goal dealt with most things, the only exception being a Gamesley shot which hit the bar late on.



Match Reports week up to 7th April 2007

Apr 9, 2007, 11:28 am

Match report Witton Albion Res 0 Styal 1 Thursday 5th April

With only 48 hours to recover from the win against Middlewich and with Witton fielding 5 players from their Unibond first team, it was always going to be a test of styal's resolve and squad of players to see them through. The first 20 mins saw Styal defend from front to back but unable to get out of there own half due to Wittons passing game on a true, flat surface. As the game moved on and with Witton unable to break down Styal's defence it was now Styal who had the better chances with Graham, Matthews and Brennan a constant thorn in Witton's side and creating 2 good chances for Graham only to be foiled by the Witton keeper. Styal's Boardman also had 2 free headers inside the 6 yard box which he sent wide.Half time Witton 0-Styal 0. With the second half under way a break for Styal by Witton old boy Smith saw him run almost half the length of the pitch to coolly slot the ball past the on rushing keeper to give Styal a much deserved 60 minute lead. This sparked the home team but several attacks came to nothing as the Styal rear guard stood firm with Nick Vernon in goal not called upon to make any save of sorts. Styal ran out worthy winners

With only 48 hours to recover from the win against Middlewich and with Witton fielding 5 players from their Unibond first team, it was always going to be a test of styal's resolve and squad of players to see them through. The first 20 mins saw Styal defend from front to back but unable to get out of there own half due to Wittons passing game on a true, flat surface. As the game moved on and with Witton unable to break down Styal's defence it was now Styal who had the better chances with Graham, Matthews and Brennan a constant thorn in Witton's side and creating 2 good chances for Graham only to be foiled by the Witton keeper. Styal's Boardman also had 2 free headers inside the 6 yard box which he sent wide.Half time Witton 0-Styal 0. With the second half under way a break for Styal by Witton old boy Smith saw him run almost half the length of the pitch to coolly slot the ball past the on rushing keeper to give Styal a much deserved 60 minute lead. This sparked the home team but several attacks came to nothing as the Styal rear guard stood firm with Nick Vernon in goal not called upon to make any save of sorts. Styal ran out worthy winners


Match Report Styal 2 Middlewich Town 0 Tuesday 3rd April


Styal played the league champions elect on Saturday within a hectic programme of 4 games in 7 days. It was always going to be a tough game and Styal held firm during the initial Middlewich onslaught which saw the away side create 2 good half chances in the opening 5 minutes, which they failed to convert. Styal then began to press themselves and after 25 minutes a Filson corner was headed in by Morrisson to give Styal a deserved lead. A second goal came on 40 minutes after a Styal player was upended in the penalty box by a Middlewich player. Ollie Barnes coolly slotted home the resulting penalty and Styal took a 2-0 cushioninto the second half. Styal continued to play well and good chances were spurned by Smith, Graham and Thornton. Styal's defence continued in commanding fashion and a good team performance was rewarded with 3 more points.





Match report Goldbourne Sports Res 2 Styal Res 3 Saturday 7th April

After collecting another 3 points from the previous game Styal headed to top

of the league Goldbourne with confidence growing, however reserve team manager Dave (the cat) Oates was called into action at last minute to don the gloves ! This didn't seem to worry the team to much !

Styal resorted to a 3-5-2 formation and saw instant reward with some good early pressure and fine movement upfront between the two young Chris's, Smith and Mcormick ! Their combined age not even beating that of manager/keeper Dave Oates ! 

The first goal came from a fine corner from inform Phil Livingstone who delivered a fine cross which was flicked on the Chris McCormick who controlled and fired in a fine curling shot into the top corner from the edge of the box, this was the first of his hatrick!

Goldbourne replied after Styal failed to clear the ball from their box a shot from outside the box took a wicked bounce to beat the Styal keeper. It wasn't long before Styal took control of the game again with an almost identical goal to their first, again with Phil Livingstone delivering a fine ball across which saw Chris Smith battle to win the header on to Chris McCormick who again took one touch an curled yet another fine goal into the top corner.

Styal went into half time 2-1 up and looking very comfortable with good workrate throughout the team and Goldbourne being kept to only a few  chances due to some fine defending. The next goal would be critical and it came Styal's way with Chris  McCormick slotting home his third goal to round of a fine vintage performance. Goldbourne grabbed a second with ten minutes remaining but again a well organised midfield and defence kept control and with a fine disciplined perfomance from Steph Laffley and Phil Livingstone on the flanks, Styal came home with a much deserved three points.


Match report Styal Res 2 Gamesley Res 0 Thursday 5th April


Styal were looking to maintain their run of form with the team starting to gather confidence after a fine win away to Middlewich. Styal weathered early Gamesly pressure before settling down to start creating chances.

With the Styal midfield gaining the upperhand a fine ball though from Marcus Kenny split the Gamelsy defence and saw Chris Smith beat the offside trap to slip the ball home. It wasn't long before some fine work from Chris McCormick who slotted a perfect pass to Chris Smith who hit the a fantastic volley over the Gamesly keeper from outside the box to put Styal 2-0 up at half time.

The second half saw Gamesly chasing the game but failed to make any impact on a resolute Styal defence. Their only clear chance came with 5 minutes of the game left and saw a fine reaction save from Rick Harrison in the Styal goal to keep a clean sheet and collect another 3 points.



Knutsford 0 Styal 2

Apr 4, 2007, 10:32 am

The game started with styal defending against the wind and against the team 2nd in the table it was going to be a hard game. With the home team not firing on all cylinders it was styal who took the game to knutsford creating 4 good goalscoring chance which were wasted by Smith, Graham and Boardman until Smith nodded home the opener on 30mins from good work down the styal right for a easy goal. This was just reward for all the hard work they had put in and with styal hitting the post twice more before half time the game should have been over but it was only 1-0 to styal. ht  knutsford 0- styal1.The second half saw the home team change shape to try and get back into this game pinning styal back to the edge of there area with Vernon in goal having to pull off 1 terrific save. This was all knutsford could do as styal went up the other end and hit the post 2 more times before Dave Graham grabbed a well deserved goal to kill the game with 5mins to go. A 0-2 win does not reflect the chances that styal made in this game. it could/should have been 5 or 6 for styal.


Middlewich Town Reserves 2 Styal reserves 4 Wednesday 28th March

Mar 29, 2007, 4:01 am

Nil- nil at half-time, Styal played well and stormed to a 3 goal lead early in the second half. Goals by Chris McCormack, Phil Livingston and 2 from Chris Smith. Outstanding game for Craig Smith. Oatsey to send fuller match report which will be posted soon




PLAYER PICTURES ARE NOW SHOWN ON THE SITE. Go through the teams page. Shame that there is no good looking reserve players but hopefully they can make themselves look good when they fill in their player profiles...


Styal 2 Linotype CHN 0 Tuesday 27th March

Mar 28, 2007, 3:34 am
With both teams in winning mode after convincing weekend victories it was going to be a close game. However, with home advantage it was Styal who went onto the attack from the first whistle and Graham, Smith and Matthews caused Linotype's defence all sorts of problems. This lead to an opening poachers goal from Graham, his 5th goal in 3 games and came from a corner after several earlier attempts on goal. Brian Matthews chipped in with a second goal to put Styal 2-0 up with 30 minutes on the clock. A stunned Linotype found themselves still 2-0 down at half-time having not much ventured into Styal's half. The second half saw Styal continue to put on the pressure and linotype's keeper managed 2 excellent saves from Matthews and Graham. The game finished on 78 minutes due to the failing Tuesday night light; Nick Vernon in Styal's goal hardly called upon to make any sort of a save. Final score Styal 2 Linotype CHN 0

Match Reports 24th March 2007

Mar 27, 2007, 5:36 am

Styal 4 Greehhalls Padgate S.O. 1

Against a team in fourth place it was always going o be a tight game,or so people thought. However, Styal were in fine form and went for Padgate's jugular with wave after ave of attacking football. Dave Graham broke the deadlock with a neat finish on 25 minutes. Severeral chances for Styal then went astray and a half-time lead of 1-0 to Styal suggested that the game was far from finished.

The second half saw Challinor and the impressive Tueart take control of the midfield areas for Styal who totally dominated the opposition. Dave Graham completed a quality hat trick and John Thornton headed in to open up a 4 goal. Late on Padgate scored from a soft penalty given away by Styal captain Boardman. Manager Morrison and assistant Hardy were delighted by the 4-1 victory and the outstanding performanes by Graham, Tueart, Challinor, Matthews and Thornton.

Styal now face a heavy period of fixtures with many weak games starting from Tuesday 27th March. Spectators are always welcome.

Styal Reserves had no fixture but Styal 'A' continued towards the conclusion of their season


Northenden Village 5 Styal 'A' 4.

Styal 'A' were beaten by hot rivals Northenden Village in a fire cracker of a game at Northeden on Saturday. Eventually they were beaten 5-4 to see NV leap frog Styal and go a point clear with one to play at the top. The scenario of whose finishes top and who comes runner up is far from clear.

Five teams are still in the mix, each with a chnace of winning and or coming second, the difference being for Styal, it is now largely out of their hands.

Styal took the lead on 20 minutes with a clinical finish by hard working James Vince after good work from Charles Videaux on the left side. They then doubled the lead with a superb free kick from Paul Adkin on 35 minutes. His left foot 25 yarder left the keeper with no chance. The two sides were evenly matched, both enjoying some possession. Styal could have gone further into the lead with a decent chance falling to Adkin, who was unable to convert from close range, following a pinpoint cross from Jimmy Vince on the right. The ball found Adkin unmarked in the centre, but the keeper made the save. NV then pulled one back, having started to get more possession.

Nervous defending by Styal led to gaps appearing. Danger man Andy Halfpenny had caused Styal all sorts of problems and could have equalised after shooting wide twice.

The second half saw Styal race out of the blocks, and within 5 minutes they were 4-1 up and the game should have been safe. Two strikes from Vince and Hough, the second being a 25 yard screamer, which should have sealed the game. But for the second successive week, Styal defended poorly and let NV back into the game. They equalised on 75 minutes before taking a remarkable

5-4 lead with 7 or 8 mins to go. Scott Hawkins almost levelled when he drew the keeper and lobbed a shot over the stranded NV keeper, but the ball ran agonisingly close to the line before the keeper weas able to get back and clear.

Manager Mark Johnson:

I tell you what, I'd Love it, I'd just love it if Old York beat NV on the last game and we beat Sale Rovers in our last game, it would mean we finish above NV, which would be fantastic.

But, it looks like we've blown it with two defeats in two weeks. We still have one to play so it's not over, but it's not in our hands. We've done our best and it looks like it hasn't been quite good enough. We need to learn from our mistakes. One thing we can do it to change the shape to lock up shop, when we are in front. Secondly we have to be more disciplined and learn to keep the ball for a period to kill the game off. With one to go we're still just in it, and we have a cup semi to play, so we're still alive and kicking, just.

There were some good performance son Saturday, Scott Hawkins was immense, so too was Jimmy Vince and Frenchy put in a good performance, so we must keep our heads up and push on.


Match reports 17th March

Mar 20, 2007, 6:45 am

Garswood Utd 0 Styal 2
On what can only described as gale force conditions and a tricky pitch it was a wise choice by captain Boardman to defend against the wind  and play up the slope in the first half. With Styal's backs to wall in the first half, the defence was well marshalled by Boardman and Haywood. With good support from a hardworking midfield it was Styal who created the better of  the 1st half chances with Dave Graham grabbing a well deserved lead after 25mins from a pin point cross from a Filson free kick. A serious injury was suffered by Barnes of Styal 5mins before the break and Matthews came on to replace him. The second  half saw a different game with Styal attacking and creating chances for Graham, Smith and Thornton to extend the 1-0 half-time lead. With Garswood unable to cope with the pace of Matthews down Styals right it was only a matter of time before Styal scored again. However, it wasn't until 15mins from time that a cross from Thornton evaded everyone and ended up with the ball in the bottom corner to give Styal a well deserved 2-0 lead and all 3 points. A well fought hard working game from Styal who are looking good again with many games stil to play this season. 

Styal Res 0 Greenhalls Padgate SO Res 0

Styal reserves returned to league football after a 4 week break due to cancellations, with several key players missing, it was going to be a test of squad resouces. Leading the attack was Chris McCormick and Richard Harrison, who is more renowned for his goalkeeping abilities than his striking abilitlies! It was always going to be a tough game with Greenalls in a rich vein of form.
Styal looked nervous from the start but gradually gained confidence as the game progressed with the back four keeping a youthfull Greenalls frontline to a minimal number of chances. Styal's midfield worked hard in containing Greenall in the centre of the park with Mel Pampila showing some good touches.
At 0-0 at half time it was a blow for Styal to loose Mel Pampila just after the re-start wich lead to player manager Dave Oates making a return!!! After some dogged defending by Styal for long periods of the 2nd half a counter attack saw Chris McCormick break throught the Greenall back line for a one on one with the keeper, but a fine save kept the scorline blank.Greenalls saw a shot cleared of the line by player manager Oates and a great reaction save with only minutes left from keeper Andy Chandler to gain a
hard earned point for Styal.

Sale Amateurs 4 Styal 'A' 3

Full report to follow--Styal took an early 3-0 lead in this fixture before being pegged back and ultimately pipped to the winning goal by a resliant Sale side. Styal need to win their last 2 games to gain promotion



Mar 18, 2007, 3:58 pm

We need as many bodies as possible down at the club Saturday 31st March to support John Thornton who will put on another race night not to forget.

Even the last highly successful event can be surpassed if we can get another 20 people down. It will be an enjoyable night and food will again be laid on.

Support your club


Styal 'A' make cup semis's

Mar 12, 2007, 4:28 am

Styal's home game was postponed on Saturday and as the Reserves had no fixture it was again down to Styal 'A' to give the club a lift.


Semi Final beckons Styal A.

Styal A made the last 4 of the broadheath cup with a 3-2 home win over Salford.

Despite a close score, Styal were in control of the game from start to
finish. They started brightly creating two or three half chances before
finally going 1-0 after 20 minutes. A long clearance by keeper Jamie Aldred let Smith in with a one to one with the Salford keeper before cleanly slotting home the ball to make it 1-0.
Salford were kept at arms length and Styal could have made it 2-0 when Jim Vince flicked the ball over a stranded keeper on the edge of the 18 yard box, but the ball went agonisingly wide of the far post. Styal continues to put the pressure on and had 3 corners in short succession, without making the pressure pay.

Salford did get back into the game and could have levelled, had it not been for a tremendous double save from Jamie Aldred to keep the visitors out.
Styal started to make heavy weather conceding too many free kicks and allowing the opposition some set pieces,  which they could not convert. With a 1-0 half time lead Styal opened the second half with good tempo. They scored a second on 65 minutes when a Salford player was judged to have handled in the penalty area. Smith netted coolly from the spot to make it 2-0. Then followed five minutes of cup final drama.

From the re-start Salford scored within 30 seconds, a run from just inside the Styal had saw the Salford midfielder slot the ball past the keeper to make it 2-1.
The goal shook Styal and stirred the opposition. However within 5 minutes of the Salford goal Styal scored a cracker and a third. Smith got away from two defenders down the right flank, to drive a cross into the six yard box, where Jim Vince headed a bullet header home to restore the two goal margin.
It clearly rocked the visitors. With just less than 10 minutes to go and
with the game seeming to be all over Salford scored a second with a looping deflected shot over keeper Jamie Aldred into the top left corner.

Despite the late goal, Styal held on to win 3-0 and go through to the semi final.

Manager: Yet again we made it hard, but we were always in control of the game and I felt we could always raised it a gear. There were some big performances today. Andy Giblin was immense and 2 goals from Smithy made the difference. Jamie produced a couple of outstanding saves in goal and his kicking was terrific. It's 8 years since we last made a semi final, and if I re-call correctly Punk and I are the sole survivors of that squad, so it would be nice to go one better and make the final. We'll give it our best shot. We still have more to come and with players due back this week we have a very strong squad to take to Sale for the next league Game.


Reports from 17th Feb, 24th Feb and 3rd March

Mar 9, 2007, 3:34 am

Saturday 3rd March

Styal Reserves fixture on Saturday was again doomed by the previous nights rain. A morning pitch inspection deemed the pitch unfit. With the firsts without a fixture the 'A' team played at Jim Evison and continued their impresive league run but this time only managing a hard fought draw. Opponents Timperley Wanderers started well and although Styal looked secure at the back an early lapse by keeper Aldred gave the opposition number 8 a chance to slot in the first goal. Just before half-time another opportunity fell to Timperley when Styal gave the ball away infront of the back four leading to the visitors taking a 2-0 lead before the break.

Although Styal were creating chances nothing was going on target. The second half saw things change however. Styal defended further up the pitch as the midfield gained a stranglehold on the opposition. Good work by the front two of Graham and West led to a penalty box scramble and the ball was fired in from a Styal boot on 60 minutes to give hope for a comeback. The game was saved and then almost won for Styal by defender Andy Giblin. Giblin rose to head home a Filson free kick at the far post to make the scores 2-2 and then in the last 10 minutes he managed a similar feat only to be ruled offside by the linesman. Styal stay top of the table with only 3 more league games left

Saturday 24th February

Linotype CHN 0 Styal 0

The game started at a terrific pace with both sides trying to impose themselves on each other in the opening period. With the home team 5th in the table Styal players would have to give everything to stand a chance of getting anything out of the game and so it proved with Nick Vernon called upon to make 2 very good saves in the first half  to keep the home team at bay. Styal's best chances fell to Dave Graham who made the home keeper pull off 2 fantastic saves. The home defence struggled to cope with Styals front 2 of Graham and Smith throughout the first half. The second half saw Styal with much more of the ball but creating no more than a couple of half chances, which were snuffed out by the home team. Styal's defence was well marshalled by Boardman,  Capel, Filson and MacDonnell to back up the work of Tueart and Massey in midfield and kept the home team at bay. The second half sw both sides cacel each other out and Styal earned a well deserved draw. With 2 decent results it looks as if Styals form is picking up at just the right time.   

Styal Reserves were called off after a morning pitch inspection at Altrincham Road.  

Styal 'A' 2  0  NCC Group. Styal return to the top.

Styal made hard work of bottom side NCC by leaving it late to clinch all three points and a return to the top of the table. A lacklustre first half display with little cohesion and very few chances left the home sidepondering what might have been. The passing was poor, the will to win the ball was lacking, we just didn't get of bed for the first half, said player Manager Mark Johnson.

Two early second half changes saw the introduction of centre back Andy Giblin and Matt Cooke onto the right side of midfield. ''I wanted to shore up the back a little more, to allow us to push on from the full back positions and add some penetration in midfield. The changes seemed to work and finally on 70 mins Scott Hawkins scored with a deflected shot to give Styal a 1-0 lead and allow them to breathe a  massive sigh of relief'' said Johnson.
Styal then pushed hard for thr second and were rewarded on 80 minutes when Matt Cooke sent over a pin point cross form the right for Paul Adkin to head home the second.

Manager Mark Johnson: ''I wasn't happy today and as a result got very frustrated. We've come along way and can see the prize ahead, and to play like we did for 70 minutes was
not good enough. We seem to find it difficult to play aginst the weaker sides.  We had no tempo, no movement we played like we had lead in our boots, we have to improve next week, or we're in trouble. Fortunately we did find something to give us the victory and credit to the players for sticking to the task. Or perhaps it was inspired substitutions. Either was I felt like we got out of jail, 4 games left and a massive home game next week, that we must win''.

Saturday 17th February

There was disappointment for Styal on Saturday morning when the pitch was deemed to be unfit following Friday's downpour and the home fixture against Rylands had to be postponed. The reserve and 'A' team games went ahead with differing fortunes prevailing. The reserves disappointed losing narrowly 2-1 away at Eagle Sports Reserves. The return fixture at Styal takes place next week and manager Dave Oates will be looking to make sure the opponents dont take the remainder of the 6 points up for grabs between the 2 teams this season.

Styal 'A' continued to show their fighting spirit against a resilient Sale Amateurs side. Punk Takiar again stood in as manager with Mark Johnson away and continued his 100% record in the role. Sale took the lead after slack back post defending by Styal from a corner early on and it took a well taken John Thornton goal to level things up on the half hour mark. Shortly after Takiar made a fine last ditch tackle in his own penalty area to deny the Sale No 9 a free shot at goal and then Styal were able to snatch a late first half lead. From a corner that was headed clear, Marcus Kenny flatfooted 2 defenders and made space for a left foot shot into the roof of the net.

The second half continued with Styal having the territorial advantage but often creating their own problems with mistakes infront of the back four and late runners into the box from Sale not being tracked. It was from one of these situations that Sale were able to pounce on a ball down Styal's right and deliver a far post cross which was again converted levelling the scores at 2-2. The game now opened up and Takiar brought on Morrell, Hawkins and McDonnell to add fresh impetus to Styals efforts.  Sale also pushed hard but found Styal keeper Matt Smith making good decisions when called into use and cleaning up any crosses that needed dealing with. With only 10 minutes to go Styal finally broke Sale down after concerted pressure. Craig Smith started a run from left back in which he broke through 3 Sale tackles and played the ball out to the left wing. Adkins cross caused confusion in the Sale box and Thornton arrived to fire past the keeper right footed giving the keeper no chance. Although Sale continued to push on Styal managed to see out the game. Styal had good performances throughout the team, West and Vince the upfront pairing worked tirelessly throughout the game and the goals Styal scored were in a big part down to their contribution.


Match Report: 10 February 2007

Feb 15, 2007, 8:49 pm


Styal started the game in confident mood but were soon put on the back foot. Morrison was judged by the referee to have missed the ball and taken down a Garswood forward inside the penalty area with his first tackle. The referee pointed to the spot. The ball was coolly slotted past Vernon in the Styal goal giving Garswood a dream start. Styal bounced back from this looking for the equalizer and it was Boardman who poked the ball past the Garswood keeper from a Filson corner to level the scores. However, Garswood struck a blow to Styal 2 minutes before half-time; a long ball over the top resulted in the Garwood forward putting the away side 2-1 up at half-time. Styal pressed on in the second half as hard as they could and with missed chances from Barnes, Matthews, and Graham going astray it looked like being another one of those games. All was not lost however and 8 minutes from full-time Matthews bundled his way past 2 defenders and raced towards goal and firing a blistering drive into the net to give Styal a deserved equalizer. Full-time Styal 2 Garswood United 2.    


Styal FC Stand press release 5th February 2007

Feb 15, 2007, 8:39 pm

Styal F.C. are still assessing the damage after the recent gales that caused havoc. The tree which blew down across the club car park has been dealt with by willing volunteers. However the future for the club's spectators looks damp and miserable after the corrugated stand structure was ripped back in the winds and has been deemed irreparable. It is unlikely that the club's insurance policy extends beyond the main pavilion building and as a result the club will need to raise funds to enable rebuilding to take place.
There is an alternative, however. Styal's committee is interested in the idea of naming the stand according to a sponsor or other benefactor that is willing to help with a stand rebuild. This would be a great way for a local business concern to enhance their profile; not least because of the stand's prominent position between the football and cricket pitches giving a 12-month exposure to local people and the visiting supporters of both sections. If anyone has some ideas on how they might like to help, please call Pete Cockitt on 07876 350511. In the meantime bring an umbrella to any games!